I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I don’t see myself as a romance author. I’m fully aware of writing romance. It isn’t that I sit down and write about to two people falling in love thinking I’m writing a thriller – I’m not that delusional…yet. But, if someone asks me what I write I usually say that I’m mostly writing speculative fiction, horror and weird and that my format of choice is flash fiction.
Therefore it’s really funny that my most read stories are about lumberjacks who live in a fictive village in the middle of nowhere. Nortown is where they fall in love, most often with other lumberjacks. And don’t get me wrong, I love writing these stories, but I do so with a giggle.
It all started during NaNoWriMo 2015. I wrote Once in a Snowstorm during the first half of November, cramming as many tropes and cliches into one single story as I possibly could. Debbie McGowan, my editor/publisher, then waved her magic wand, and in December Aiden including Tristan saw the light of day.
I never meant for it to be more than that. I didn’t have any plans of making it into series, but something about Nortown stayed with me, and not long after I started writing Once in a Forest.
Since Once in a Snowstorm, I’ve concentrated on a few tropes for each story instead of trying to get as many as possible in there, at least if we’re talking theme tropes. All those other about looks, top vs bottom etc are still there. But what we have so far is:
- Once in a Snowstorm: A mishmash of every possible trope ever found, but with stranded (trapped in a snowstorm) being the main trope.
- Once in a Forest: Out for You, Bottom for You.
- Once in May: The Healing Power of Sperm.
And between them, we have Aiden and Tristan shorts, and they’re just about one thing really. The Empty Egg and Happy Endings are more about moans and groans than plot.
Tomorrow, it’s time for two new men to see the world. Chris, we’ve already met in the previous books, he is the guy standing by the checkout counter in Nortown’s only shop and then we have Gabe who was born simply to become the main character in Once in the Underworld. Gabe is in witness protection and is being hidden in Nortown. So to add tropes to the list:
- Once in the Underworld: Fish out of Water, Beautiful all along (or ugly duckling or whatever you want to call it)
And of course, there’s a little short Aiden and Tristan following. Just Words is smut in the woods where only the birds will hear you moan LOL.
Both Once in the Underworld and Just words are up for pre-order, though tomorrow they’ll be up for real. You find them here:
* By clicking the Books2Read link you’ll be taken to an external page. Links to Smashwords, Kobo U.S and Amazon contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.